Develop Serverless solutions on AWS
No server to manage, millisecond pricing.
Creating a serverless application means letting developers focus their attention on the product instead of managing the Cloud infrastructure. Thanks to the reduced commitment needed for maintenance, developers will have more time to devote to creating scalable and reliable products.
The advantages of the Serverless paradigm
The Serverless paradigm is spreading very rapidly, also thanks to the availability of Cloud services such as AWS Lambda, which let developers put applications into production in a full-managed environment, without having to worry about maintaining the infrastructure.
The main advantages of a Serverless architecture are:
- Reduction of infrastructure management efforts: developers can concentrate on developing the application rather than on the operation and management of Cloud services.
- Scalability optimization: resources are allocated automatically, reacting to real-time traffic and in a completely managed way. Scalability requires fewer configurations and no resource is ever wasted.
- Resource optimization: no pre-allocation of computing and storage resources, because these are dynamically allocated at runtime and automatically execute the code without having to carry out provisioning or manage servers. The developers just need to write the code and load it into Lambda.
- Cost optimization: when event-driven Serverless applications are not running, they are not charged at all, reducing unused resources.
- High availability: the Serverless architecture guarantees better tolerance of failures and errors, increasing the availability of the service.
- Time-to-Market reduction: the time saved from managing the Cloud infrastructure can be used to speed up development.
- Reduction of prototyping and R&D costs.
Areas of use
The Serverless development model is incredibly flexible and can meet the needs of an endless series of use cases. These are just a few of the main applications:
Backend and scalable web applications
Serverless applications can be written and put into production without first having to deal with the hosting infrastructure. In doing so, it is possible to develop a fully functional application in no time. Serverless backends are natively scalable and on demand, so as to automatically adapt to the number of requests.
Real-time data processing
The Serverless model makes it possible to develop extremely high-performance services for real-time data processing. For example, it is possible to perform an automatic resizing when uploading an image, or to independently proceed with video transcoding for different target devices.
Thanks to a developed Serverless service, third-party services can be invoked: for example, by connecting to AWS Rekognition you can process images and recognize inappropriate content for your application.
Event and SaaS processing
Serverless can be used to develop a modular application which uses services offered by third-party software in SaaS mode. Without having to perform functions on external systems, you can create automated, event-driven pipelines. For example, you can automate CRM flows or integrate payment systems and management software.
Multilingual and Microservices applications
Thanks to the Serverless development of microservices, it is possible to create applications using multiple programming languages. New services developed with new languages can be integrated with legacy services, and the team of developers will no longer be tied to the use of a single language.
Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment (CI/CD)
CI/CD pipelines let you increase the number of releases in production, making updates and fixes even several times a day.
Serverless can automate many of these processes: each commit can automatically trigger build and deploy, or perform tests independently.
Infrastructure automation and monitoring
Lambda is the new bash.
Develop Serverless with beSharp and AWS
AWS provides a series of managed services that can be used to develop Serverless applications. The beSharp Cloud Expert team can help you adopt these services for developing your apps, either by supporting your technicians with on-the-job training, or by taking on all the developments itself.
Furthermore, we can analyze your legacy applications to develop a re-engineering strategy that includes the adoption of microservices.
We can implement a Continuous Deployment and Continuous Integration pipeline to increase the frequency of updates and reduce their size.
Serverless applications do not need server provisioning, maintenance and administration for backend components. Furthermore, you will no longer need to worry about fault tolerance and application availability.